Saturday 1 March 2014

Short Story Stumbling Block

Happy St David's Day!
I am in the library, with the primary aim of finishing a short story I'm working on.
I don't plan stories in great detail. I tend to work with an idea and see where the writing takes me.
The idea is that if the writer doesn't know where the words are taking him, the reader won't, either.
Now, this tends to work pretty well on the whole.
I say 'on the whole' of course, for a reason.
I'm stuck with my current story.
The basic idea is really good. There is mystery and intrigue in abundance. The premise is original. The pace is fast. I'm gripped.
But now I don't know where to take the story. I've been sitting here typing and deleting and typing and deleting and drinking coffee and...
Yeah, yeah, you get the idea, I know.
What I'm alluding to, though, is that I'm beginning to wonder whether this is a sign that if you 'fail to prepare, prepare to fail.'
Oh my days; what a cliché!
I'll update you with my thoughts in an hour or two, based on whether I've progressed with the story....!

No comments:

Post a Comment