Wednesday 12 March 2014

Research

Good evening, readers and writers!
Research for stories and novels is something that fascinates and infuriates me in equal measures. Well, maybe not exactly equally, but it is one of those sayings...right?
My current novel is based over different decades - sixties, seventies, eighties and current day.
I love modern history. I relate different decades back to my own life (late nineties when I was just a child - I am only twenty-one - yeah, right!), to my parents, grandparents, etc. I'm intrigued by the changes in fashion, politics, entertainment and sport.
And so I thought it would be a fantastic idea to incorporate this into my writing.
The only thing is - and putting it as diplomatically as possible - it is such a big challenge! To do it right - and I am going to do it right - takes a whole lot of sweat, and I am quite a sweaty type, anyway. Making sure that a person in 1968 talks and walks like a person in 1968 and not a person in, say, 1974 involves attention to detail.
It will take some time, which is a reason I am completing some short stories in between - I really need to break it up a bit.
But! And this is quite a big 'but' (hence the explanation mark) it will be worth it in the end, I know that.
I will keep you updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment